Explore shapes and measurement
You will need
- large flat container
- liquid food colouring
What to do?
- Place uncooked rice in a container with a lid
- Add a few drops of food colouring into it
- Add a teaspoon of vinegar into the mixture
- Close the lid and shake until the rice is all coloured. Add more vinegar and food colouring as required
- Once the rice is coloured, pour it into a large flat container
- Place cups, funnels, and various shapes into the rice for your baby to explore
Every activity we do at Avendale is purposefully designed with developmentally appropriate learning outcomes in mind. Measuring colourful rice assists children’s learning in these areas:
- Numeracy skills: filling up and measuring the quantities of cups and funnels.
- Gross motor development: scooping and pouring the rice will build their arm strength and coordination.
- Fine motor development: manipulating and feeling the individual grains of rice.
- Introductory geometry: exploring various shapes and objects’ dimensions.
Ask your child
Asking your child questions encourages them to think and engage in deeper learning. For instance, you could ask them:
- What does the rice feel like?
- Look at the rice pouring out of the funnel/cup/container.
- What does a circle/square/triangle feel like?
- Can you scoop up the rice?