Focus on the details, enjoy the process
You will need
- Objects to paint e.g. flowers or bowl of fruit
What to do
This is a great activity for your children to engage with the world in a critical and focused way. In the centre of a table place an object such as a bowl of fruit or a vase of flowers. Sit with your child and ask them to observe the object and discuss what it looks like. What colours will they need to paint the object? What sorts of shapes will they need to draw? Take your child through the activity step by step and also have your own piece of paper to paint on. Mix each colour individually to try to get an accurate representation of the object. Ask your child to help you mix the colours to get the right shade/tone.
- Language: Discussion around colours and painting techniques
- Fine motor: Gripping paint brush
- Understanding the world: Can talk about some of the things they have observed in the natural world/environment around them
Ask your child
- What colours can you see?
- How can we create these colours?
- What sorts of shapes will you need to draw?