Bring nature into your home and use it to paint!
What to do
Go for a walk outside and see how many different kinds of leaves you can find. (This can be a conversation starter, see prompting questions below!)
Next once you have a variety of leaves, set up a piece of paper and an array of coloured paints.
Take a paint brush and allow your child to paint the back of the leaf, the side where there are the most veins showing, this will create the most texture on your page. Use a variety of colours on one leaf if you like! When you are done, turn the leaf over and press it down onto the page. Lift it up slowly, and see the imprint of the leaf! Continue pressing the leaf down, until all of the paint fades off of it. Repeat using a different leaf. Discuss what you see! Have fun!
- Science: Similarities and differences in nature, cause and effect.
- Expressive Arts: Exploring different media and materials, being imaginative.
- Language: Listening, Observing, Responding to questions, asking questions.
Ask your child
- What do you see?
- Have a closer look, what colours do you see on the leaves?
- Feel the leaf, what does it feel like? What texture can you feel? Is it rough, smooth?