Challenging ourselves through music.
We all know the song Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes; but today we’re going to change it a bit by cutting out different words.
You will need
Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes song (without music is okay as well).
What to do
Sing the song together with all the words and actions.
Repeat the song with actions again, but missing the word ‘Head’ (for example: ‘__ and shoulders, knees and toes’).
Then, miss out the word ‘shoulders’. ( ‘__, ____, knees and toes’).
Continue, until eventually all the lyrics are skipped: ‘__, __,__,___’
This activity sounds easy, but for many children this age, they might struggle with coordinating their movements and remembering to miss out some lyrics.
If they forget to miss a word, go back and try again. You’ll soon be laughing a lot!
Challenge your child
- Get them to do it more quickly. Then get them to do it very, very slowly.
- Reverse the song (‘toes, and knees and shoulders, head’), and then miss out words to see if they can succeed!
- Practising using, and missing vocabulary.
- Speeding up and slowing down practices our rhythm skills, and keeping to the beat.
- Social skills (why not do it together?)