A simple, fun pre-writing activity for your child
You will need
- Sponges / Scouring Pads.
- Scissors to cut them into shapes.
- Lollipop sticks if wanted (to be glued).
- Paint and paper
What to do
- Cut the sponge into different simple shapes, and use the lollipop sticks to make a grip for the child to hold (the lollipop stick is optional).
- Prepare the paints and allow the child to explore the materials freely.
Encourage your child to mix colours, or to explore the texture of the painting by squeezing or pressing the sponge.
- Selects a particular named shape.
- Shows an interest in shapes in the environment.
- Shows an interest in shape and space by playing with shapes or making arrangements with objects.
- Show awareness of similarities of shapes in the environment.
- Expressive Arts and Design:
- Chooses particular colours to use for a purpose.
- Beginning to be interested in and describe the texture of things.
- Explores colour and how colours can be changed.
- Explores what happens when they mix colours.
Ask your child
- Can you use different colours for different shapes?
- What shapes can you see?
- How does it feel when you squeeze the sponge?