Everyone loves pancakes! One of our teachers used this recipe the other day to celebrate pancake day and the result was delicious. You can involve your child in as many steps of the recipe as you would like.
Mixing pancakes can then be enjoyed by children of all ages - and is a great chance to work on your child’s hand grip and listening skills. Older children can also practice their mathematics skills by helping to measure out the ingredients. Once you have cooked the pancakes the children can add their own toppings. It’s a lot of fun and a great way to get everyone involved in the learning!
You will need
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- To mix the ingredients: a medium bowl, a large mixing bowl & a whisk
- To cook: a small pot (to melt butter), a skillet/frying pan & a spatula
- For the skillet/frying pan: oil spray or butter
- Fruits, syrup, etc to use as toppings
What to do
Depending on how old your child is, they may be able to help with the measuring and mixing of ingredients. Encourage them to help you prepare the pancake mixture. By being involved in the process they will feel a sense of accomplishment and their self confidence will grow.
To prepare the pancake mixture with your child:
- Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to “sour”.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter and then whisk egg and melted butter into “soured” milk.
- Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.
Once the mixture is ready:
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray.
- Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.
- Serve the pancakes and help your child add their own toppings!
- Understanding the world
- Fine/gross motor development
Ask your child
- What can you taste?
- What toppings would you like to put on your pancakes?
- What happens when we mix all the ingredients together?
- Can you measure half a cup of flour/sugar (etc)?