Introduce some routine into your child’s life while they are at home and keep them practising their understanding of dates and numbers.
Because we have been away from school for a while you can feel free to bring in aspects of circle time to your home! This handmade calendar which was created by our lovely Kindergarten teachers at the Whampoa campus can be recreated at home very easily depending on your resources. Even a large piece of paper with the month drawn onto it will work! This way you can introduce some routine into your child’s life while they are at home and keep them practising their understanding of dates and numbers.
Each day at a certain time you can go over the date with your child and have them identify it on the calendar. For the older children, they can also practice writing the date each day. To assist with your child’s learning, you can also sing a days of the week song each day with them. Please see here for an example song.
- Mathematics: recognition of numbers
- Understanding of the world: the concept of of time/date
Discuss with your child
- What is the date today if yesterday was (X)?
- What day is it today?
- Can you find number (X) on the calendar?
- If this is the date today, what date do you think it will be tomorrow?